Saturday, April 13
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Location: 29CD; SDCC
Advanced Practice Provider Fee: $455
Candidate and Medical Student Fee: $65
Director(s): Marianne E. Langlois, MS, PA-C
Faculty: Eric Ryan Butler, PA-C; Senthilkumar Radhakrishnan; Izabela Tarasiewicz, MD, FAANS
Learning Objectives: After completing this educational activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe the mechanism and pathophysiology of wound healing.
- Discuss wound closure techniques in neurosurgical patients with first-time cranial/spinal surgical wounds and those patients undergoing re-do procedures or with complicated wounds.
- Describe the various materials utilized in the OR to achieve excellent wound closure that include synthetic sutures, absorbables, staples, tapes and adhesive compounds.
- Describe wound complications and management strategies in postoperative patients including wound infection, CSF leakage, pseudomeningocele and failure to heal.
- Perform simple suturing and knot tying.