Tuesday, April 16
7:00 am - 9:00 am
Location: 29CD; SDCC
Advanced Practice Provider Fee: $150
Candidate and Medical Student Fee: $65
Moderator(s): Christi DeLemos, RN, NP; Marianne E. Langlois, MS, PA-C
Panelist(s): Laura Ellen Prado, DNP, NP; Susana L. Skukalek, DNP, NP-C
Learning Objectives: After completing this educational activity, participants should be able to:
- Discuss the importance of an arrangement between the surgeon and APP as to when to call for assistance. Recognize that a novice provider should err on the side of caution and involve the surgeon early in the patient’s presentation.
- Recognize possible life-threatening emergencies in the ED that will require emergent surgical intervention.
- Recognize common postoperative patient complaints and those requiring urgent evaluation.
- Recognize the role the APP plays in prescription refills for the practice. Discuss the importance of having a collaborative practice agreement and good communication skills between the APP and the neurosurgeon.
- Recognize inpatient emergencies such as postoperative neurological changes, seizures, pulmonary and cardiac issues on the patient floor or post-anesthesia care unit.