Saturday, April 25
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Location: 254AB; BCEC
Candidate and Medical Student Fee: $65
Director(s): Carl B. Heilman, MD, FAANS
Faculty: Steven N. Kalkanis, MD, FAANS; Elizabeth Koehnen; Douglas S. Kondziolka, MD, FAANS; Elad I. Levy, MD, FAANS, MBA; Linda M. Liau, MD, PhD, MBA, FAANS
This course will review the process of becoming ABNS Board Certified, from completion of neurosurgery residency through the ABNS Oral Exam. Candidates for board certification must submit a case log of consecutive cases into a database called “POST” and the first half of this course focuses on that, including how to use the POST software. Information about how to enter case material in the proper format, with the appropriate amount of detail, is provided. The ABNS candidate learns how their case log is reviewed and the possible responses from the ABNS. The second half of the course focuses on the format of the oral exam, what to expect and how to prepare.
Learning Objectives: After completing this educational activity, participants should be able to:
- Enter cases into the ABNS case log, POST.
- Discern the appropriate amount of detail expected for each case entry.
- Explain how the case log is reviewed and the possible ABNS responses.
- Discuss requirements for board certification.
- Prepare for the ABNS Oral Exam.