Sunday, April 26
7:30 am - 11:30 am
Location: 253C; BCEC
Advanced Practice Provider Fee: $315
Director(s): Daniel Jin Hoh, MD, FAANS
Assistant Director(s): Sanjay Dhall, MD, FAANS
Faculty: Paul M. Arnold, MD, FAANS; Michael G. Fehlings, MD, PhD, FAANS (Canada); James S. Harrop, MD, FAANS; W. Bradley Jacobs, MD, FAANS (Canada); Jesus Lafuente, MD (Spain); Daniel C. Lu, MD, PhD, FAANS; Claudius Thome, MD, IFAANS (Austria)
This course familiarizes surgeons with the acute management of patients with traumatic spinal column and spinal cord injuries (SCIs). It features a discussion on the timing and treatment of the acute SCI patient, with explanations for present and future treatment strategies. In addition, time is spent focused on pediatric and geriatric populations. The course includes case presentations and attendees are encouraged to bring interesting and difficult cases for discussion.
Learning Objectives: After completing this educational activity, participants should be able to:
- Review evidence-based guidelines for treatment of spinal cord injury.
- Detail management of spinal injuries including central cord injury and geriatric odontoid fractures.
- Discuss present SCI trials and treatment strategies.
- Review optimal treatment strategies in the care of SCI and spine trauma patients.
- Discuss various spine trauma classification systems and their role in clinical decision-making.