1466. A short term experience with Anterior Cervical Interbody Fusion Using a Polyetheretherketone (PEEK) Cage Device and Local Autograft Bone

Authors: Rajiv Jha (Kathmandu, Nepal)

Introduction:

This is where you put your introduction.

Methods:

This is a prospective study of anterior cervical discectomy and fusion with PEEK cage device from January 2017 to June 2018 and the age, sex ratio, the level of disc prolapse, symptoms, complications of surgery and the outcome was assessed.

Results:

The total number of cases is 32, with predominantly males (20 cases, 62.5%). The most common age group is between 41 and 60 years with a total of 24cases followed by the 31 to 40 age group with8cases .Spontaneous disc prolapse was the most common case (60%) and the rest was because of trauma (40%).C5-6 was the most often disc prolapse level with 56 cases (55%), followed by C4-5 level with 26 cases (26%).Disc at multiple level was present in only 9 cases (9%). Neurological assessment was done pre and postoperative as defined by Ranawat et al. At presentation majority were in Grade II (66%), followed by Grade IIIA (35%).Postoperatively there was a reduction in weakness from 66% to 25% in Grade II and from 35% to 10% for Grade IIIA. It is interesting to note that although none of them were in grade I before surgery, postoperatively 62.5% of patients improved to that grade. Check x ray was done at 8 weeks and the fusion was assessed. The continuity of the graft and the adjacent spinal curvature was also assessed and there was more than 93% fusion rate. 

This is where you put the results

Conclusion:

Although there are other options now than to use autograft for fusion, the old Smith-Robinson technique seems to be a time tested method for discectomy especially in developing countries where the cost of implant is a major limiting factor.Here are your conclusions